Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Remembering the daffodils....


When we consider the fantasy that is April, we often think of daffodils measured in bushels, scenting the air in such a way as to say 'spring has arrived'... our very energies are renewed, regenerated, and youth returns to winter tired bones as we breathe in the springtime with a ritual of which we never tire, no matter how many times we've experienced it... 




"Daffodils" By William Wordsworth 

I wander'd lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;



Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:




Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:




I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.












No longer assessed in months, the weeks will pass quickly... Larry

10 comments:

Sunray Gardens said...

Your Daffodils are amazing. The groupings are beautiful and so full. It's nice to see that many in one area other than in a nursery.
Cher Sunray Gardens

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a beautiful post in poetry and photos. Just perfect for March.

FlowerLady

Christys Cottage Wildlife Garden said...

Loved the poem. Are these pictures of your garden? This is absolutely amazing!!!! It looks like something in a magazine. You are truly talented!!

Larry said...

They are indeed Christy.. i am a bit concerned as I suspect the daffodils are getting to a point where they need division. I am not looking forward to this job. The entire area is over planted with daylilies. This bed is about 5 to 6 years old. Of course the big problem with daffodils is the foliage as it ripens. I really am not certain where I would put all the daffodils were I to actually divide them. There almost certainly are thousands in this bed. Larry

El Gaucho said...

Well said Larry. That was just what I needed today, a visual reminder of the beauty of Spring, and a little mental resolve to know that we're just weeks away from green and bloom.

bettyl said...

Daffodils are always a favorite of mine. Thanks for the great shots and the poem.

HELENE said...

Lovely, lovely, both pictures and words!
Daffodils are relatively new in my garden, I certainly have no need for dividing yet, I actually struggle to get them to re-flower. I get lots of green foliage but they don't flower much in subsequent years. I do leave the leaves until it is completely dead and can be nipped off with no resistance, a looong wait, but I thought that was going to give me flowers again. Last year I even bought some very expensive chicken manure pellets and gave all the daffodils, to guaranty flowers. This is season 6 with daffodils and only those I planted last year are doing well, the older flowers sparingly. Any thoughts would be received with thanks.

Larry said...

Hi Helene...

Here are some possible reasons for daffodil problems...

First off, that foliage needs at least a half day of sun to properly ripen and more sun is even better.

Are the bulbs getting too much nitrogen? Fertilizers should be higher phosphorus and potassium with less nitrogen.

Is your soil too alkaline? A bit of of acidity is good although ours is pretty much neutral.

Planting depth is best at 2-3 times bulb depth.

Sometimes genetics can be a factor with bloom slimming out after a few years.

Larry

HELENE said...

Thanks Larry, most of your points are easy to answer, as I definitely have soil on the acid side, I didn’t fertilise the daffodils at all until last year, and then with fertilisers specially made for daffodils and tulips, and I think my bulbs are planted deep enough. But 2/3 of my garden gets less than half a day of sun and in the winter, some of the areas where I have daffodils there won’t be much sun at all. I thought they would be OK, but seems I have the explanation then. Thanks for your help :-)

Beth said...

So, so beautiful, Larry! The fourth photo is absolutely amazing - looks like an award winner to me. The color, oh my...Your lamp is beautiful too. You are an artist! Beautiful!
Beth