Saturday, February 16, 2013

Down the primrose path...




I noticed that my counter recently recorded the 150,000th visit to my blog... I wish to thank you for your support ... to the best of my recollection, I started blogging in early 2010 as a bit of a challenge by my daughter-in-law and soon found that I enjoyed the process. For a time I loaded my posts onto an external hard drive and removed them from blogger until the hard drive stopped working and I decided that this was perhaps not the best thing to do since my earlier posts are for all practical purposes lost... I'm quite certain that I've done well over 500 posts but due to the aforementioned problem, I don't have the exact number.

When I think of heading down the primrose path, I think of it in a very positive "gardener" sort of way.
When Shakespeare used this phrase in the 1600's he had something much more sinister in mind than I. The primrose path referred to taking the easy way, perhaps a selfish path without regard to self-discipline... doing what feels good in such a way as to end in self-destruction and quite possibly a fiery afterlife. 

I assure you that my primrose paths end up in either the rhododendron garden or the steps that lead to the front door!

I have very little knowledge when it comes to primula... all I know is that I have enjoyed them tremendously ever since my friend 'Frog Pond' gifted me a few plants. I have little interest in delving into the many difficult sorts of primula that alpine gardeners and others find enchanting... I don't even know the names of many of the ones that I have. I do know that they have become a necessary part of my spring... now that I've discovered them, I keep adding more and more... in fact, several new doubles should bloom this spring in the rockery and I just can't wait! I also added a dozen new varieties of Primula sieboldii last year and I am anxious to see them in bloom as well.... 

So... I invite you to wander down my primrose paths and I'm quite sure it will end pleasantly enough... 

Larry










































12 comments:

AuksÄ— Gardenstories said...

I congratulate You so many visits on your blog !
Yours primrose are so lovely ! They are look very beautiful between the stones. These flowers bring a lot of colors to the garden. Especially in spring, when we madly want to see colors :).
And you do not have primula auricula ? This is a very slender primrose.

HELENE said...

They all look beautiful Larry, I bet you can't wait for them to start flowering. I have never seen the frilly ones before, those dark pink ones, but I suppose primroses come in all sorts of varieties now. I only have Primula vulgaris in my garden.

That's quite an achievement you have made, with all those visitors, all I can say is keep blogging!
Take care, Helene

Jason said...

A really lovely variety of primroses. A wonderful spring flower, they look delicate but are quite tough.

carolynsshadegardens.com said...

Primroses are one of my top genera, and I do collect them. Maybe we could exchange some plants. I really like the orange flowered plant and the white with the yellow face. Are they by any chance P. veris cultivars? Cowslip primroses and P. sieboldii do really well in my garden.

Landscape Design By Lee said...

Larry-congratulations on all the visits to your blog...and well deserved. Your primroses are lovely and so beautifully photographed. Thank you for sharing!

Beth said...

Your primula are so beautiful! I love the color they bring to your spring garden. Congratulations on the visits to your blog. They are very much deserved! You have a beautifully photographed, educationally sound, and aesthetically pleasing blog. Top of the line garden blog!!!
Blessings, Beth

Larry said...

Carolyn! you've caught my interest!! The very thought of more primula makes me salivate! I am so crazy about them.

A couple years ago I bought a whole lot of primula seeds in several varieties. The only ones that were successfully germinated were the doubles but unfortunately, earwigs got to them and destroyed them all once I had set the trays outside.... and... the best germinating seed was of a series called 'Crescendo' that can be seen at this link... i think I got 85 plants in all in a wonderful array of colors...

http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/perennials/primrose.html

I love the orange as well despite it not normally being my favorite color... in this hue it's a gem and if I recall, I do have a few plants of that color (pause to check out my own pictures!) Yes there would appear to be at least two plants of that shade as well as some lighter ones.... I presume you are referring to the larger close-up photo... if they come through the winter, there should be plenty of divisions.

In reference to your second question, I honestly don't know much about primroses, but if you go to the 8th row down from the top, there are two different plants... both are a subtle yellow (cream) with a darker center. These were both gifted to me and I'd like to know exactly what they are. I have a few of each as I have divided them in the past. One comes earlier with the smaller blooms and the other later with wonderful larger blooms. I'll contact you via e-mail for further discussion on this topic! Thanks, Larry

Larry said...

Hi everyone else who has commented... I responded prior to responding to Carolyn and then my internet went down and the comment never made it to this page. I basically said that I really appreciate your comments and that you visit my posts... it takes some time, but eventually gardening relationships are developed and it gets to the place where we can actually have a great conversation as if we were in the same room rather than thousands of miles apart... it really is neat to start to get to know many of you at a deeper level and to learn from one another. I think that this is one of my main reasons for blogging... case in point... we so look forward to having Beth and Ron visit our gardens again this summer and also for us to visit their gardens. That's not always possible but in this case we are within 400 miles of one another. I sense that each of you who has commented thus far are passionate gardeners as are my wife and I... to be honest, if it was a choice between my buying food or a plant, I might well chose the plant! My wife... not so much as she's a whole lot more practical than I. I guess that what I'm saying bottom line is I love to get some real discussions going with people who really love plants as much as I do.

If you don't follow Carolyn who left the earlier comment, you really need to... she is a fount( or font if you prefer) of knowledge and her posts are amazing... there is a link to her site at the upper right of my blog. Secondly, if you haven't taken the time to visit the link to Cady's Falls, also in the upper right and titled something to the efffect 'my favorite nursery', you really need to take an hour and explore their site. Located in Vermont, this place is truly amazing and I visit there every time I'm in New England. I also have to return every couple months to look at their site for the pure inspiration I derive.

At any rate... happy gardening to you all! Larry

Andrea said...

Oh Larry, i thought you are still in winter so i haven't gone here yet. They are all alive and happy again, as i normally see them in your old posts. They are all so very beautiful and you have lots of colors for them.

Christys Cottage Wildlife Garden said...

Hi Larry....your Primroses are just beautiful!! I also love all of the stone work. I can't wait to see your gardens in spring!!

Larry said...

Andrea... we are still in winter with about 8-10" of snow... I am simply posting from past seasons, trying to fill the void until life in the garden springs anew... Larry

tina said...

Such bright and cheery pictures one can hardly be down when they look at all the color here in these gardens.