Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Life Lesson... only plant trees you love... trees that grow slow and strong...


On the right side of the photo above are five trees which are about 70 feet tall. I often tell garden groups that I've planted every plant on these two acres except for the weeds and these five trees. They planted themselves thirty years ago... therein lies the problem... they grow very fast. Trees that grow fast have soft brittle branches that are shedding all the time and they self seed like crazy. They create a mess.


For years I kept telling myself they provided a look of age to the garden... I branched them high and liked the look of their trunks. In the meantime they soaked up every drop of water that was available to this part of the gardens.


They are Siberian Elms and the time has come for them to go. I have dealt with "old" Siberian Elms in the past. They look good until an ice storm comes through and you have a ten foot high pile of broken branches lying on top of all the plants you want to keep.


My friend 'Frog Pond' is constantly saying to me "is this something I want to deal with when I'm 80 years old" as he disperses one project from his list after the other. He's right... 80 is only seventeen years off for me... it will go by in a flash. Now's the time to deal with future problems.



Yes, these tree trunks are beautiful but think of the wonderful conifer garden this area could become once there is some moisture for them to partake of....



These trees are so going away, as well as many of the shrubs... I've thought about it for years... come spring they'll be long gone. I'm excited... I like change!! ...and the exercise is good for my heart...  Larry



14 comments:

Sunray Gardens said...

I don't blame you in the least. It opens up so many more possibilities. Will be fun to see what choices you make for this area.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Laurrie said...

Inspired gardening involves taking things out, editing down and getting rid of live plants just as much as it involves planting and nurturing. Go for it. Taking out those big trees is the right thing.

Andrea said...

You deserve something that will make you happy, at this stage of live, anyway your area is not very sloping so erosion is not a problem. Maybe those birds which learned to roost in those trees will have other trees nearby anyway! And you will not become an illegal logger for cutting a few trees, haha! I noticed your garden is alive again!

Beth said...

Hi Larry, A garden is a living thing and in so being it changes. Some changes we like, some we do not, but every change is an opportunity. Carpe Diem!
Be blessed, Beth

VW said...

I grew up with a bunch of siberian elms in the backyard, and they are a trashy tree! Removing them is a headache to think about - I remember how much work it took for my dad to remove the ones in his yard. Good luck with that big project.

Karen said...

I like your garden and the image with the tree trunks looks great but like you said its time for them go, happy lopping.

Patty said...

I admire that you are ready for a big change with the tree removal(s), but you did not tell us about the fun part! Make sure you post about the future plan for that garden, what is going out and what is coming in.

NellJean said...

Your friend makes a good point. I waver between that point of view and planting Camellia seeds that I will probably never see bloom.

Larry said...

Hi NellJean! I want to plant a tree the day before I die!! Keep spreading those camellia seeds about! Larry

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Life Lesson... only plant trees you love... trees that grow slow and strong... NOW you tell me!!! LOL
When we moved in the land was barren. All I wanted to do was cover it and the fence up. Just moving from Alaska, God's most beautiful work, I felt pinned in.I needed greenery and I needed it NOW! Well, here I am 18 yrs later and it's all covered all right! Need to do some heavy thinking about whether some have gotta go or not.
As usual, your gardens are beautiful :)
*hugs*deb

Gabby said...

I'm so with you there! I have a silver maple that does the same thing. One puff of wind and I'm out gathering twigs. You're going to have fun creating a new garden. I'm your latest follower.

Carol said...

Happy New Year Larry! Your fifth photograph is simply enchanting and all of your trees so stately and solid . . . really lovely gardens. Thank you for your kind words. Carol

Ken Nicely said...

I love how clean your garden looks... It retains such a polished feeling. Absolutely gorgeous.

-Samudaworth Tree Service
Tree Pruning Brooklyn

Dheeraj said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along.I'm impressed. You're truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. I'm saving this for future use.Tree Service Birmingham Al