Sunday, January 27, 2013

In retrospect... #7

Magnolia 'Daybreak'

I've been sharing photos of the gardens over the past few weeks, having decided to commence this retrospective journey with the 2009 season and making an effort to use mostly photos not previously posted. Today brings us up to 2012...there were more changes in the gardens last season that during any one period over the past thirty-five years. I will endeavor to point some of them out during the course of the next few weeks.

Foggy sunrise in early spring

Syringa 'Lilac Sunday'

Hamamelis x intermedia 'Arnold Promise'

Around March 10th last year we limbed up about 120 feet of thinning windbreak
in order to create a rustic fence on the property perimeter
A segment of the rustic cedar fence created from cast-off barked boards
The original entrance into the gardens from the north was enclosed,  providing excellent wind protection to newly added shade gardens along the birch walk
A new service entrance to the gardens was created and gated... presently
it's a storage area for stone pavers and left over fence pieces that will
be integrated into uncompleted projects this season
The spruces along the birch walk, affected by needle blight, were also limbed up and a new shade garden was created... the fence will be extended this season, either with more of this cedar design, but more likely with stone wall

Just a few of the hundreds of hellebores in the gardens...




Sanguinaria canadensis in spring

Chionadoxa
Magnolia 'Simple Pleasures'


The outline for a new perennial bed created to surround the Japanese tree lilac

Our gardens have no shortage of robins

Some of the primula I've started from seed have proved to be quite hardy

Daffodils and magnolias surround the gazebo in spring

Not to mention flowering crabs

More of my seed started primula in the rockery


A few conifers for all season beauty

Trollius catching the morning sun

Clematis 'The President'

One of many cultivars of Siberian iris

Have a great week everyone! Larry

Syringa and a hazy backdrop of malus

7 comments:

Joann from Oregon's Willamette Valley said...

I sneak a peak often into your blog and your gardens are exquisite. Would be wonderful to see in person. You are such hard workers.

Sunray Gardens said...

Lovely shots and blooms. You know I remember you posting about the fence before, but I was looking at it closer and I guess maybe you actually used the limbs for the fence? It is definitely very neat looking.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Beth said...

I've enjoyed your retrospectives, Larry. The changes you have made and the thought behind change are quite interesting. Your primula are colorful and I hope my seed-started primulas take off this year. Time will tell. Have a nice week!

Alicia said...

Beautiful pictures! I love the hellebores, so pretty. You have a gorgeous garden.

Tootsie said...

Oh how I love blue in the garden! gorgeous! Those Primula are gorgeous too!
Thank you for linking in this week again..I am always so happy to see my friends letting their gardens and hard work shine!
I hope you will link in again soon!
Your post today has been shared on the Tootsie Time Facebook page.

hugs from Alberta Canada!
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.
www.tootsietime.com

Kathy Shea Mormino said...

Hi! I’m new follower of your blog and would like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/clever-chicks-blog-hop-19-hog-wash_27.html





I hope you can make it!

Cheers,

Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

Pawanna said...

Your garden is amazing, full of wild places and beautiful flowers, I love the gardens! nice to see it :)